Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry



No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.
___________________________________

There are times when I finish a book and I can't help but think to myself: why did you take so long to read this!? That's exactly what I was thinking when I finished Katie McGarry's Pushing the Limits. This book has a compelling premise and a seriously swoon-inducing romance between two flawed and very different individuals who somehow seem absolutely perfect together.

Pushing the Limits alternates between Echo and Noah's point-of-view, which works perfectly for this premise and these characters. Since both have their own set of complicated problems and difficult pasts, it felt important that both characters had an opportunity to share their POV regarding both the issues they're currently facing and the growing feelings between them. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't end up preferring one narrator over the other; they complimented each other well and I found myself excited to hear the other's take on situations and conversations.

It's been quite some time since I've read a novel that focused on romance. I was feeling a bit burnt out and uninspired by those that I'd been reading; I wanted a romance with depth but all I felt like I was really getting was fluff and bad matches. Pushing the Limits reawakened by love of romance. Echo and Noah - and their story - made me want to fall in love again. McGarry's story evoked the excitement of first real, deep, complicated love that we all inevitably feel... and as horrible and distracting as it can be when you're going through it (as Echo and Noah clearly illustrate), there is something epic and wonderful about it as well!

I highly recommend this first Pushing the Limits book from McGarry. The second book, Dare You To, has just released and I'm super excited to see if McGarry achieves the same level of emotion with her sophomore offering as with her first.

Shop Indie Bookstores
Harlequin Teen, July 2012, Hardcover, ISBN:  9780373210497, 392 pgs.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction after reading this! I got this book for free at the RT convention but didn't read it for almost a year, and when I finished I was in love! I just finished Dare You To and that is also a fab read. Katie sure knows how to write dysfunctional families, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read this! I just stole it from my best friend xD I'm tryinggg to finish Reboot but PtL is just Staring At Me!!! Great review(:
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is like taking an amazing bike ride down a very long hill. It is easy, continues to accelerate, and you never want it to end! Pick up the book and go for the ride. You will never forget it.

    Maycee Greene (TRUSTprice - Software Download)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!