Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review: The Hunger Games


Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Date published: 2008
Type of book: Young Adult (survival, reality tv, love, family, parallel/future world)
Pages: 374
I received this book from/at: local library
My interest in this book is: plot, reviews

Ideas expressed/message/plot: From book jacket: “COULD YOU SURVIVE ON YOUR OWN IN THE WILD WITH EVERY ONE OUT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON’T LIVE TO SEE THE MORNING? In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister’s place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before – and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.”

Favorite characters, quotes/lines: Katniss: She was the perfect heroine for this book… strong, smart, and compassionate!; Rue: She was an interesting character – brave and smart for her age – I was very sorry to see her go; Peeta: Hmm. What can I say about him? Except that he was amazing! I wanted Katniss to see how much he loved her and I felt so sorry for him when she only saw his feelings as part of the game. He was so different from Katniss, but exactly what she needs.

When I finished this book I felt: I never thought I would like this book, so whenever I saw it, I just passed right by it. Now, I’m really regretting that! This is one of my all-time favorite books and I can’t wait to read the next one. The idea of Panem is terrifying – and I like to imagine that it could never happen – at least not in such extremes as in the book. But there are some definite parallels that can be drawn between the world today and Panem. The love story in this book was perfect. I never really expected to see a love plot in this type of book but it was there and it was one of my favorites. It was so perfect because Peeta is obvious about his love for Katniss, she thinks it’s just part of the Games, and she doesn’t recognize her own return of those feelings. I’m definitely rooting for Katniss and Peeta. I will be anxiously awaiting the next book!

Other books to read by this author: The Underland Chronicles, Catching Fire (Sept. 2009) (next Hunger bk)

I would recommend this book to: Guys and girls with a liking for adventure and a touch of romance (the love story isn’t overwhelming so even my little brother will like it)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!