Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review: The Night She Disappeared by April Henry

Gabie drives a Mini Cooper. She also works part time as a delivery girl at Pete’s Pizza. One night, Kayla—another delivery girl—goes missing. 
To her horror, Gabie learns that the supposed kidnapper had asked if the girl in the Mini Cooper was working that night. 
Gabie can’t move beyond the fact that Kayla’s fate was really meant for her, and she becomes obsessed with finding Kayla. She teams up with Drew, who also works at Pete’s. Together, they set out to prove that Kayla isn’t dead—and to find her before she is.
_____________________________________

April Henry's novels are, in a word, addicting. The mystery and foreshadowing are so well done that it's near impossible for the reader to walk away... even for a few hours. Henry is one of those rare authors that keep the reader guessing and add just the right amount of creepiness and fear that you can't help but stare, transfixed. 


I enjoyed Henry's last offering, Girl, Stolen, but, to me, it was nothing compared to the intensity of The Night She Disappeared. Everyone knows to be wary of strangers, but I sometimes forget that working in customer service puts you directly in front of strangers every day. I'm a hostess and, honestly, after reading this book, I now look at customers in a whole different light. That's what's so powerful about The Night She Disappeared... the events in the novel don't seem all that far-fetched. 


In my opinion, the aspect of this novel that makes it most unique is the fact that the story isn't from the kidnapped girl's point of view, but Gabie's - the girl who got away. Gabie's fear was palpable and her unease reached from the pages and gripped me as I read. I was, admittedly, a bit jumpy. When would the creep be back for Gabie?


Also present in the novel is a small romantic plot line. It may seem out of place, considering the seriousness of the novel, but Henry integrated it well. For me, it didn't seem misplaced, as traumatic, high-stress events often cause people to come together in unexpected ways. Thankfully, Gabie's romance didn't seem false or forced.


Readers looking for a high-intensity mystery at a fast pace should consider April Henry's The Night She Disappeared - you won't be disappointed!

Henry Holt & Co BFYR, Hardcover, March 2012, ISBN: 9780805092622, 240 pages.

3 comments:

  1. Oooo, creepy idea for a story! I've always been in customer service or in the public in so many jobs and I've never, ever thought about some stranger possibly noticing me. Think I like your "hiding" idea :)

    Great review!! School done yet????
    -Kristin @myparahangover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read many review for this one but it sounds great and creepy! Glad to hear you enjoyed this :) Off to browse April's other books!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!