Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mini-Review: The Tension of Opposites by Kristina McBride



Title: The Tension of Opposites
Author: Kristina McBride
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: 5/25/10
Pages: 288

I'm not sure I can write a review that does this novel justice. All I can say is that it is one of those novels that I highly recommend reading. Scratch that. I recommend that you rush out the day it is released, curl up in your favorite reading spot, and devour it. Seriously, it is that good!

I had the novel for a week or two before I picked it up to read. To be honest, I was nervous. I thought it would be good, but I was afraid it would be too dark and intense for a everyday reading. The plot summary only mentioned the heavier plot lines, which lead me to believe THE TENSION OF OPPOSITES would be like Elizabeth Scott's LIVING DEAD GIRL, but from the best friend's point of view. I was wrong; there was plenty of light to balance the heaviness of the story.

The brightest source of light was the love story! I think it is important to note this aspect of the plot, not only because it creates balance, but because it really isn't mentioned in the plot summary and it is one of my favorite parts of the novel. McBride writes the romance in a way that it fits into the darker plot line. Tessa doesn't rush into the relationship, but slowly eases in, which made the relationship more believable and, in my opinion, better. It could have easily not worked in this story, but McBride did an amazing job. And I have to say, I'm sometimes hard to please when it comes to love stories, but I was IMPRESSED with McBride's skill when it came to this aspect of the novel. There has to be just the right amount of tension and she nailed it!

THE TENSION OF OPPOSITES is an amazing debut novel that is not to be missed! I generally don't reread books, but TENSION is one that I could reread over and over again. It is an essential and I'll most definitely be buying a copy of my personal library! And I CAN'T WAIT for McBride's next novel! READ THIS BOOK!!

Mini-Reviews are excerpts from my full reviews. Near the date of the novel's release, I will post my full review.

Add  THE TENSION OF OPPOSITES to your GoodReads bookshelf and find out more about the novel here.

14 comments:

  1. I cant wait to read this book - it sounds awesome and your review made me want to even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your mini-review idea is great! Also, I just started The Tension of Opposites last night and I am LOVING it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mini-review, this book sounds awesome, can't wait for it to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mini-review! This book sounds great, and I know I'll certainly be getting a copy when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first review of it I've seen. I thought it sounded good, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're so lucky to be able to read this book in advance! I love the sound of it and I can't wait to read it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this one sooooo very badly! It sounds absolutely amazing. Glad you loved it. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have totally won me over with this one! It sounds brilliant. Lucky you for getting an early copy!! I can't wait for the release!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa. Great mini-review! I'm really anxious to read this one now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better than I could have ever imagined! Thanks for telling us to put it at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yahoo! Sounds very exciting and spoooky. And a slow-burning romance is always something to root for. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!