Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Review: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers



Title: Some Girls Are
Author: Courtney Summers
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pub. Date: 1/5/10
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Popularity, Bullying, Lies, Love, Friendship
Pages: 246
Plot (from back cover):
"Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.
Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard - falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students of Hallowell High... that is, until vicious ruors about her and her best friend's boyfriend started going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it woiuld be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past she herself used to bully, friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.
Tensions grow and abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up to Be."

Some Girls Are is just one of those books. One of those books that everyone should read. Not only because Courtney Summers is a phenomenal writer, but because Regina's story is one that anyone can relate to. Readers may not look at Regina and the bigger events in the novel and see their lives reflected, but if you look at the details, the feelings and fears of Regina and all her classmates, I'm certain you'll see a little bit of yourself. It might not be the prettiest bit, it might not even be a part of yourself you let others see, but that won't make it any less true.

I loved Regina as a main character. She was so absolutely horrible. So real. So broken. If I knew her in real life, I probably would hate her. That is, when I didn't agree with her. That fact is one of the reasons I loved SGA. Most everyone has that horrible in them, even if it isn't to the extent to which Regina does. She is one of those characters that makes you think. How do my actions and words affect people? Do the people I associate with affect how others see me? Do they affect how I see me? Affect what I think is right or wrong? Affect whether I should be blamed for my actions, my choices, if done under the influence of peer pressure? Simply put: This book is intense.

SGA is one of those books that is painful to read, but I couldn't put it down. I knew that Regina's situation was just going to keep getting worse, especially if she kept fighting back against the Fearsome Foursome, but I wanted her to fight.

Regina and Michael's relationship was one of my favorite aspects of the novel. The fact that, from the beginning, you know that their relationship is going to be difficult, perhaps impossible. Which, of course, made me want it to work out even more. In many ways, their relationship was a type of redemption for Regina: if Michael can find a way to forgive her, can find a way to love her, perhaps there is hope for her after all.

Ratings (out of 10):
Plot: 10
Characters: 10
Writing: 10
Romance: 10
Originality: 10
Total: 50/50 (A!)

Pick up a copy of SOME GIRLS ARE today - you NEED to read this book! And Courtney, when is your next book coming out? I can't wait!


7 comments:

  1. I've only read good things about book, so I need to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another perfect score, you're on a roll with these awesome books! I've yet to hear anything bad about this so far. Gonna have to look out for this one in the bookstore too! Honestly, you're sending me broke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you now officially have me totally convinced. I MUST read this book. Regina sounds amazing in how horrible is, and I am now dying of curiosity to know more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review... I'm ordering it NOW !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right, I'm convinced. Hopefully my library has a copy...

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems dark but perhaps educational in a way that allows readers to learn from Regina's mistakes and choices.

    Your review has had me wanting to find out more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!