Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Monday, August 3, 2009

Must Have Monday!

Okay, Waiting on Wednesday just isn't cutting it for me! I have way too many books to mention, so I'm doing a Must Have Monday and a Waiting on Wednesday... so my posts aren't super long... because my Wishlist is absolutely bursting!! Since WoW only showcases upcoming books, Must Have Monday will have books that are already out too, not only upcoming. Since I have NO MONEY and sometimes the library takes ages to get new books... I am behind on newly released hardcover novels. I can only occasionally buy new softcovers... and I feel guilty about even spending that. The economy combined with being a college student is really taking a toll on my reading! :S Now, on to the books!!


Little Black Lies by Tish Cohen (Sept. 13th 2009 from Egmont)
"Sara and her father are moving to Boston from small-town Lundun, Massachusetts. She is going to attend the very elite Anton High School-- crowned "North America's Most Elite and Most Bizarre" by Time magazine, harder to get into than Harvard. As the new girl, Sara doesn't know anyone--better yet, no one knows her. And that means she can escape her family's checkered past and her father can be a surgeon instead of "Crazy Charlie" the school janitor.
What's the harm of a few little black lies? Especially if it transforms Sara into Anton's newest popular girl. But then one of the It girls at school starts looking into Sara's past, and her father's obsessive compulsive disorder takes a turn for the worse. Soon, the whole charade just might come crashing down... "
I'm really looking forward to Tish Cohen's upcoming release... I think the cover is cute and the plot summary interesting. It has been described as a mix of Mean Girls and Gossip Girl... drama here I come!


The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
"Sixteen-year-old Lia Milthorpe and her twin sister Alice have just become orphans, and, as Lia discovers, they have also become enemies. The twins are part of an ancient prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. To escape from a dark fate and to remain in the arms of her beloved boyfriend James, Lia must end the prophecy before her sister does. Only then will she understand the mysterious circumstances of her parents' deaths, the true meaning of the strange mark branded on her wrist, and the lengths to which her sister will go to defeat her. Debut novelist Michelle Zink takes readers on an unforgettable journey where one sister's fateful decision could have an impact of Biblical proportions."
I work at a Subway that is in a Walmart. Every night when I get out of work I go to the book section (because I am obsessive and have a problem...). In said book section, there is a pretty little stack of The Prophecy of the Sisters. Every night, I leave Walmart sadly without the book. The library needs to get this book soon or you will find me sitting on the floor in the book section of my local Walmart reading this book! Is it too early for an early birthday present if my bday is in December?? I wonder...


Undead Much? by Stacey Jay
"Even Zombie Settlers with Super Hot Boyfriends get the Blues...
A few months ago I was a normal girl with a normal life. But that was before my power to Settle the Undead returned and someone tried to kill me with zombies.
Now I work magic and practice kicking butt while trying to find time for pom squad and my boyfriend, Ethan, and trying NOT to think about how freaky my life has become. It can be tough. Still…things could be worse…
Oh yeah, right:
1. Feral new super-strong zombies. Check.
2. Undead psychic hottie predicting a zombie apocolypse. Check.
3. Earth-shattering secrets that could land me in Settler prison for life. Check.
4. Cheerleader vs. pom squad turf war threatening the end of the half time as we know it. Check.
I’m going to need therapy (and a cookie) if I live through the week. Unfortunately I’m learning that’s not something Zombie Queens can take for granted."
I loved You Are So Undead to Me and can't wait to read Undead Much?. January is so dreadfully far away!


Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
"For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever."
Reviews for Shiver are popping up all over the YA blogosphere and I to review it too! I'm usually not a werewolf fan, but Maggie Stiefvater has me at Lament! :)


Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater (October 1st from Flux)
"In this sequel to Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception, faeries follow James and Dee to Thornking-Ash Conservatory, where James struggles with his feelings for Dee and with the dangerous faerie muse, Nuala. When Halloween plunges both Dee and Nuala into danger, James finds he can only choose one."
Speaking of Lament, Ballad is coming out soon (but, alas, not soon enough!). I can't wait to see what happens next...!! Isn't the cover seriously amazing?


Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead (out now)
"Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire, paid to bind and banish creatures from the Otherworld. But after her last battle, she s also become queen of the Thorn Land. It s hardly an envious life, not with her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and Eugenie eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind. And now young girls are disappearing from the Otherworld, and no one--except Eugenie--seems willing to find out why.
Eugenie has spilled plenty of fey blood in her time, but this enemy is shrewd, subtle, and nursing a very personal grudge. And the men in her life aren t making things any easier. Her boyfriend Kiyo is preoccupied with his pregnant ex, and sexy fey king Dorian always poses a dangerous distraction. With or without their help, Eugenie must venture deep into the Otherworld and trust in an unpredictable power she can barely control. Reluctant queen or not, Eugenie has sworn to do her duty--even if it means facing the darkest--and deadliest--side of her nature..."
This one came on in July and is the second in Richelle Mead's Dark Swan books, which isn't YA, but I felt fit in at The Hiding Spot because Richelle is a YA author as well. I am a big Richelle Mead fan (love Vampire Academy, etc)... I am actually going to her signing in Detroit at the end of August - I need to read this one before the 4th Vampire Academy book comes out!

What are your must haves???





1 comments:

  1. Prophecy of the Sisters just creeps cropping up in the blogging world. The more I read about it the more I want it!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!