Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Thursday, December 18, 2014

YA Superlatives 2014 - Best in Show


Favorite Cover
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

If you think this cover looks gorgeous on your computer screen, you should see it in person.

Cutest Couple  
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Actually, everything in this book is the cutest. It just makes me all happy & giddy. 

Most Likely to Succeed
 (Pick a Printz Winner)
I''ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

So, I'll be honest... Nelson's debut is still my favorite, but I really, really loved this one too. And I think it's dual narrative and the themes it tackles makes it a really great Printz contender.

Most Likely to Make You Miss Your Bedtime  

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

I was a bit late in reading this one (what was I thinking!?), but, once I started, I couldn't put it down!

Best Repeat Performance
 (Favorite Sequel or Follow-Up)

 
Vitro by Jessica Khoury

All of Khoury's novels standalone, but they also continue a larger overall story. Pick up Vitro, her debut, Origin, or her upcoming novel Kalahari - either way, I bet you'll end up wanting to read all 3!

Romance Most Worthy of an Ice Bath  

Minders by Michele Jaffe

There's one scene in particular that fits this category, but let me assure you, Jaffe knows her way around a steamy scene.

Best Breakout Novel
 (Favorite Book by a Debut Author)

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

There's so much to love about Dellaira's debut, but my favorite part is that it's written entirely in letters. I love epistolary novels!

Best Old-Timer
 (Favorite Book Published BEFORE 2014)
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

READ THIS BOOK. WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ IT YET? GET YOUR LIFE TOGETHER!
(Oh, you've read it? Didn't you love it! We should form a fan club.)

Most Likely to Make a Grown Man Cry  

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Now, I can't 100% guarantee that this book will make a grown man cry, but I'm willing to find out.

Most Pleasant Surprise
 (Didn’t Think I’d Like It But Totally Did)
Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

It's weird because I loved Fitzpatrick's debut back when I read it years ago, but I didn't like the second book and never ended up finishing the series. I disliked one of the characters so much that I kind of wrote off Fitzpatrick, which totally wasn't fair in hindsight. So color me surprised when I picked up Black Ice and couldn't put it down!

Most Creative Use of a Love Triangle

 
A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller

 I found this love triangle creative because it actually serves a purpose. It isn't just happening to provide more eye candy and drama - there's a real reason why the MC is torn between two guys... each represents a very different future. 

Sleeper Hit
 (Novel So Awesome I Wish It’d Been Hyped More)





17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen

I almost missed this book, which would have been such a shame because it's so good and has way more depth than one would assume given the title and cover. If you love contemporary YA, you need to read this book.  
 Favorite Outlier
 (Best 2014 Picture Book, MG, NA, or Adult Novel)
Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler

I seriously can't shut up about this book. It's quintessentially Midwestern. It has 5 POVs that you'll never get mixed up because each character is so well-developed. I actually find myself missing these characters like they're people I know in real life. Just read this book. I promise you won't regret it.
Class of 2014_Button2
Head here add your name and your Best in Show post link to the sign up so we can hop around and check out everyone's selections. Don’t forget — there will be a new link sign-up each day!

9 comments:

  1. I'm really going to have to read We Were Liars, I've heard such great things, and if it can make a grown man cry then it's a book I'd probably love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending for We Were Liars blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read Black Ice and The Winner's Curse from your list but I loved them both! The Winner's Curse blew me away, I can't wait for The Winner's Crime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Winner's Curse but haven't started it yet. I'll have to start soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read We Were Liars. I've heard SO many good things about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was late reading The Winners Curse too and it was probably a good thing because I'm already dying for the next book! I couldn't have imagined waiting since the publish date for book 2 to come out! It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read On the Jellicoe Road from this list, and it was so good. Love Letters to the Dead sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even heard of A Mad, Wicked Folly (which sounds amazing!), nor of Minders. Both are now in my TBR, so thank yoou so much for the recommendations. As for all the rest - I agree wholeheartedly with your picks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Minders seem like a great book, and the cover is so beautiful! Thanks for including it on your list, I have discovered another book to add on my pile. Great!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!