Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



Title: Beautiful Creatures
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Pub. Date: 12/1/09 (but can be found in some stores now)
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Curses, Love, Destiny/Fate, Supernatural
Pages: 576
Plot (from back of arc):
"In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them."

I was first drawn to Beautiful Creatures because of the wonderfully sinister cover art, but it was the amazing positive reviews that persuaded me to read Garcia and Stohl's debut novel. While I do think that BC is a solid first novel, it wasn't my favorite and my attention wavered at a few points in the book.

I really enjoyed the fact that BC is a supernatural love story told from the male perspective. I liked that the female lead, Lena, was the mysterious one. I'm so used to "bad boys," it was interesting to see somewhat of a female equivalent.

When I realized just how lengthy BC was, I was excited! I love long novels - especially ones that keep me engaged and I find myself hoping never end. Unfortunately, I found BC's length to be a bit too long. I thought that the story dragged a bit in points and I found myself drifting away from the story or disinterested. The story always picked back up, but those slow parts had a negative effect on the impact of the book.

I was also a bit disappointed by the climax of the story. I thought it would be a bit more shocking. This was probably the aspect of the story that bothered me the most.

My last complaint, and the one that is based solely of my personal preference, was the romantic plot line. I liked Lena and Ethan together, but there was hardly any chase or build up to their relationship. I like when there is some tension, otherwise I find the romance a bit blah. Their relationship grew on me, but it didn't jump of the page.

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 8
Characters: 8
Writing: 10
Romance: 8
Originality: 10
Total: 44/50 (B+)

I thought that Beatiful Creatures was a pretty good read and I'll definitely be checking out Garcia and Stohl's next offering, but this isn't a novel that I'll be buying in hardcover. However, if I love the second novel, I would want both to be sitting on my bookshelf!

12 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'm reading this one now and enjoying it. Especially the fact that its told from Ethan's pov - that's such a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! There's been alot of hype about this book that sometimes it's hard to live up to. I'll still be giving it a try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! PS. I like ur new profile pic.

    and just wanted to let you know Secret Year is on the way to you from the around the world tours!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this soooo bad! Great review.

    I also like a good romantic build up though...

    New Follower. Love the blog!

    Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cover. I had no idea it was that long though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get this :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Shame you didn't like it as much as you initially thought you would. I'm very excited to read it, my fingers are crossed that I'll fall in love with it.

    There's not nearly enough supernatural romances told from the male perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also thought it was nice that it was from the male perspective and Lena was a mystery. I liked Ethan. He reminded me of that guy who plays Finn on Glee. That's who I pictured anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the review! Maybe I'll see if it comes out at my library, and then wait to see if I buy it as a hardcover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of liked how there was no build up to Ethan and Lena's relationship. I kind of just happened. ::shrugs:: I liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book was a jewel to enjoy, with different facets showing different angles of the same beautiful core. I'm very pleased with it overall. I will be gifting it to some young adults who I know.

    Irene (TRUSTprice - Software Download)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!