Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe



Title: Give Up the Ghost
Author: Megan Crewe
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pub. Date: September 2009
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Ghosts, Popularity, Bullying, Friendship, Family, Depression
Pages: 244
Plot (from back of arc):
"Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts to "breathers." Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable. They know the dirt on everybody... and Cass loves dirt. She's on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of the poseurs in her school.
But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass's whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her to help contacting his recently deceased mother, but Cass is less than enthusiastic.
Kicking and screaming, Cass becomes increasingly intwined in Tim's life. And she's more surprised than anyone when she realizes that some living people aren't so bad if she'd only give them a chance..."

I adored this book, to put it mildly. It pulled me in right from the beginning and refused to let me go!

The entire book was wonderfully written and imagined. Cass was a girl that I found extremely easy to relate to - especially her sarcasm. I loved that the author showed Cass' tough side as well as her softer, more vulnerable side that she usually keeps hidden from her peers.

I often find that authors add unneeded details to the plot - just to make it more interesting, but Megan Crewe not only had reason for every detail, everything was wrapped up at the end. I was left completely satisfied when I finished this book - which never happens! Cass' bullying, her family life, her new relationship with Tim - all wrapped up perfectly.

I really enjoyed the ghosts of the story. Paige was a wonderful older sister, even in death, even if she didn't know she was - or was in ways that she didn't even mean to be. Another favorite was Norris... I had fun trying to imagine him while he was living - he was such a colorful character. I have to mention that I love this book's dust jacket! On the cover you can see a ghost whispering in Cass' ear and Norris leaning against the lockers on the back cover. I think it fits the novel perfectly!

There is even a dash of romance, but it borders on being only a friendship. Even though I ususally like books with a romantic plot line, and this book's is minimal, I still was kept interested throughout the novel.

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 10
Characters: 10
Writing: 10
Romance: 10/NA
Originality: 10
Total: 50/50 (A!)

Read this book! I was fortunate enough to win a copy, but if I hadn't I definitely would have bought this book! It is remarkable that this is Megan's Crewe's debut novel - it is AMAZING!

Check out my interview with Megan, here!

This book was reviewed as part of One ARC Tours.

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo, 50/50! You've just made me even more excited to get my hands on a copy than I already was :D I've been interested in this for a while - I love the cover and the story sounds so cool. I think I need to bump it up on my list! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really liked that! I already wanted to read it, but apparently I need to bump it even further up my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50/50?? wow, it must be freakin awesome ^^... Ive read great stuff about the book, I cant wait to read it. The trailer is really good.
    Nice review ;)
    BTW, Im starting my blog, here´s the link if you wanna visit me ^o^ Smart Girls Read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara :)
    Thank you for the great review.
    GIVE UP THE GHOST is on my Get&Read list. I really enjoyed reading your review. And thank you for the trailer too!
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review!

    I really want to read this book now :)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!