Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Throwback Thursday (1): The Looking Glass Wars

It’s the nature of book blogging to focus mainly on new releases, but there are thousands of great books out there that haven’t seen the “New Releases” shelf in years. We hope to be able to bring attention to some older titles that may not be at the top of the current bestseller list, but still deserve a spot in your To-Be-Read pile.

And a big thanks to Janita at Book Interrupted because I'd never heard of this meme before seeing it on her blog! :)
___________________


The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
Alyss of Wonderland?

When Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, must flee through the Pool of Tears to escape the murderous aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!

Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may eventually battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.

The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions surrounding mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination.
I've always loved Alice in Wonderland stories, but I've had even more Alice on the brain that usual since I heard that ABC's ONCE UPON A TIME is doing a Wonderland spin-off. The show, which starts in September, looks like it's going to be AMAZING. Well, judging from the trailer that is.


The first book in Frank Beddor's Alyss series, THE LOOKING GLASS WARS, was released in 2006. I first read it in 2009 and fell completely in love with the world and characters. This isn't the Wonderland Disney showed us. This Wonderland is full of much more sinister danger and evil and romance. I love, love, love these books. If you haven't read them, make time because it's definitely worth it!

Here's the ONCE UPON A TIME IN WONDERLAND trailer that I mentioned above... SO GOOD.

4 comments:

  1. that was a really fun book! My Mom had got a copy when it first came out, it's not her thing, but she knew me and my sister would both get a kick out of it, and we did!

    Blogging the new stuff is always fun, but it's really relaxing and comforting for me to blog about my old favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that they've released Hatter M graphic novels now too... I need to check them out!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything about Alice in Wonderland (yeah, the original one by Lewis Caroll too) ._. But I watched the movie once and got interested in Alice so thanks for sharing this book! Speaking of Once Upon a Time, I just finished the first season last week and I enjoyed it. Hopefully the second season is that good. I already saw the Alice spin off trailer and yeah it looks WONDERFUL haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I hear someone has been watching (and loving) Once Upon a Time, I'm happy. It would break my heart if that show got cancelled! I thought it was just okay at the beginning of S1, but I'm totally addicted now!

      Delete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!