Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Recently Read: Upcoming Titles to Add to Your TBR Pile (2)

If you follow me on Goodreads and Twitter, you might have noticed that I'm one of those lucky readers who sometimes receives review copies of upcoming novels early. I won't lie, there are many really great things about advanced reader copies, but there are also negatives... namely being unable to finish a book and go out and encourage others to read it immediately. So I've decided that the next best thing is to feature these titles here at The Hiding Spot, no matter how early I've read them. Then you can add these books to your ever expanding to-be-read pile. Of course, nearer to the novel's release, I'll post my full review!
________________________________

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


Available January 6, 2015 from Random House
Goodreads / Preorder


All the Bright Places is a heartbreaking and unforgettable exploration of depression, love, and loss. Finch and Violet’s lives intersect by chance when they simultaneously find themselves on a belltower contemplating jumping. For Finch, planning how he’ll kill himself is almost a hobby. For Violet, months of silent pain and guilt following her sister’s death have left her hopeless. To the watching crowd below, it was Violet who talked Finch down, but, in truth, it’s the strangely charismatic boy with a macabre preoccupation that saves the day. As the two are thrown together for a school assignment in which they must explore Indiana’s “natural wonders,” who is saving whom becomes increasingly unclear. Niven chronicles the effects of depression with frank honesty, shedding light on an often misunderstood illness. Keep tissues handy, this novel is painfully real.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir



Available April 28, 2015 from Razorbill/Penguin
Goodreads / Preorder
In this remarkable high fantasy debut, Sabaa Tahir creates an elaborate and often shockingly harsh world in which evil constantly threatens and the hope of a better future lies with two seemingly powerless youths. Laia and Elias, strangers with curiously overlapping destinies, must fight to survive their harshly violent world despite overwhelming odds. Laia, a young Scholar willing to risk what little she has left to save her captive brother, is tasked with a highly sensitive undercover rebel mission that may well end with her death. Elias, an elite and deadly soldier of the Martial Empire, struggles to accept the violent life that awaits him as a Mask. When a sudden shift in leadership plunges the Empire into disarray, a desperate and bloody power struggle begins with Laia and Elias positioned at its center.

With An Ember in the Ashes, Tahir presents a complex and dangerous world, two unlikely heroes, and an epic battle of good versus evil that will undoubtedly capture readers' rapt attention.

Pennyroyal Academy by M.A. Larson


Available October 7, 2014 from Penguin
Goodreads / Preorder


In a kingdom plagued by evil witches, being a princess is more than shimmering gowns and dashing princes. At Pennyroyal Academy, young girls undergo rigorous training to achieve princess status. Princesses are warriors, with the carefully honed skills to take down their dangerous foes. Cadet Eleven, called Evie by her newfound friends, arrives at the academy dressed in spider webs, with no memory of her past. No one, not even Evie, believes she has what it takes to be a princess. Can she unravel the mysterious threads of her past while taking on witches, bullies, and fairy drill sergeants? Pennyroyal Academy is a magical adventure with an underdog hero readers will love.

15 comments:

  1. Does Goodreads give ARC's as e books or only as physical books. I'd like so much to get on to that list if its e books. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these posts on the upcoming titles! I honestly can't decide which of these I'm more excited about after reading the their synopsizes. I think AN EMBER IN THE ASHES wins my vote for best cover though (but all three are lovely).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for An Ember in the Ashes! It sounds so good and I just love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great interview. Learning how the authors create their novels is always fascinating.

    I will add this book to my TBR. I love history books, simple as that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the Bright Places is already on my TBR list and my tissues are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Emery Lord! I'm excited! It sounds adorable, and if it's anything like OPEN ROAD SUMMER then it will probably be good!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting. I've never heard of the author, to be honest. Thanks for sharing! Here's my WoW!

    I'm also hosting a blitz & giveaway today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this one definitely is going to be added to my wish list. Nice pick.

    Grace

    My WOW Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of roadtrip books! I have this wanderlust that I never get to indulge and roadtrip books help a teensy bit! ;)

    Awwwws, not EVERYONE has read it! I haven't yet. Though I might have a copy... If I had a paper copy I'd so send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you like realistic YA, you should definitely check out OPEN ROAD SUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really sweet! I also really really enjoyed her first book Open Road Summer. I thought the relationships were pretty honest. Very enjoyable to read. I'm glad to hear she's got another one coming, great pick!

    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have much time to read middle grade, but this book sounds totally up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eep -- I hadn't heard about this but I am all in!!! Loved Open Road Summer and this sounds really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this one! This is the first I've heard of it, but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!