Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Review: Nothing but Ghosts by Beth Kephart



Title: Nothing but Ghosts
Author: Beth Kephart
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: 2009
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Grief, Loss, Family, Love, Mystery
Pages: 278
Plot (from book cover):
"Ever since her mother passed away, Katie's been alone in her too-big house with her genius dad, who restores old paintings for a living. Katie takes a summer job at a garden estate, where, with the help of two brothers and a glamorous librarian, she soon becomes embroiled in decoding a mystery. There are secrets and shadows at the heart of NOTHING BUT GHOSTS: symbols hidden in a time-darkened painting, ans surprises behind a locked bedroom door. But most of all, this is love story - the story of a girl who learns about love while also learning to live with her own ghosts."

Nothing But Ghosts was absolutely beautiful. There was something so calming about this novel - I can't say that it was exciting necessarily; it is better described as engrossing.

The story unfolds so perfectly; I found the story to be compelling and engaging. There are two main plot lines in Ghosts: Katie's and that of the mysterious old woman Katie works for. Beth Kephart wove the two stories together perfectly to create just the right balance of past, present, and future.

I have never lost a parent, thank goodness, but I know many people my age that have. The closest experience that I can relate to losing a parent is losing my grandparents. Still, I could empathize with Katie's grief and confusion over the death of her mother; the disbelief that someone can be vibrant and full of life and then be gone forever. Even though my grandfather passed away a few months ago, I still forget that he is gone sometimes and when I remember and it hits me, I feel the pain of his loss all over again. I can only imagine that Katie, living in the house that she once shared with her mother, surrounded by her things, her room untouched, exactly the same as it was when she was living, and feeling distanced from her father, must feel. Kephart wrote this aspect of the novel particularly well.

I loved the mystery in this novel! Katie's quest to uncover the truth about the old woman who was a socialite in her youth, but has grown to be a recluse, was one of my favorite aspects of Nothing but Ghosts. I was amazed by the Kephart's skill as all the pieces of the puzzle slowly came together. I loved that I didn't figure out the secret until near the end of the novel, it is a bit anticlimatic when it is too easy to figure out the mystery. I love the fact that the mystery brings so many of the minor characters out of the background as well.

There is also a love story within Nothing but Ghosts. This aspect of the novel isn't really a main plot line, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. When I started the novel, I wasn't really sure that there would be a romantic plot line, so I was pleasantly surprised when one developed.

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 10
Characters: 10
Writing: 10
Romance: 10
Originality: 10
Total: 50/50 (A!)

Nothing but Ghosts is an amazing novel and I will definitely be reading Kephart's other novels! Ghosts is a novel that I need  to have a copy of on my bookshelf!

Check out my interview with the author, Beth Kephart, here!
Go here to win your own copy of NOTHING BUT GHOSTS!

25 comments:

  1. Wow, brilliant review! It sounds like an amazing read. I especially like that it keeps you guessing until the end. This is going on my Christmas "please buy me and I'll love you forever" wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! It sounds good, I added to my wishlist.

    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I wanna read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :)
    Thank you for the thoughtful review.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this! Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds like a great book, its on my TBR list now :) great review

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read that many reviews of this book, but it sounds sooo good!
    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this book in my wishlist for a while now. Your review definitely makes me want to read it even more! It sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hadnt heard of this book but it i want to read it now! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I will be adding it to my to-read list. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I haven't heard much about this book, so you're review was really helpful in understanding the book. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I wasnt completely sure I wanted to read this book before but I definitely do now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am enormously blessed by this review—by you, Sara, seeing so much in this book and taking the time to write about it so beautifully. Not only that, but you worked through a failing email system (on my end) to let me know, to ask me questions.

    You are terrific, and I am so grateful. I'll be posting a link on my own blog later this afternoon.

    Be well,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just popped over from Beth's blog to find your review. I just reviewed this book today at Savvy Verse & Wit. I agree this novel is engrossing. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In some ways, this story reminds me of The House Of Tradd Street -- which I just finished last week! Ghosts, family, a mother who has died/disappeared... definitely engrossing. And I loved that one! I'll definitely look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, I see you gave it top marks, I haven't read sny of Beths books yet but this one sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I've always wanted to read this but I was never quite sure...but 50/50? It's a must-read now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! A 50 out of 50?
    Looks and sounds good! I'll be sure to check this one out. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. 50 out of 50 I will definitely have to read this one. I'm digging the new ghost stories that have been coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Really high scores! I must read this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will have to add this book to my wish list. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds really good! Definitely going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review, this is already on my TBR list, but it is always nice to read other reviews on it.

    Saw you on Book Blogs, here is mine if interested.
    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!