Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (19)

WoW is hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine!

I've got a couple WoWs to share today - I couldn't pick just one!


Friend is Not a Verb by Daniel Ehrenhaft (HarperTeen, 5/1/10)
From the author of the Edgar Award–winning The Wessex Papers comes a hilariously offbeat novel about Henry “Hen” Birnbaum, a teenage boy who dreams of becoming a rock star despite a minor setback, namely: his girlfriend just dumped him and kicked him out of their band. Now his social life consists of night after night of VH1 marathons with his best friend and next-door neighbor, the neurotic Emma Wood.


Then there’s the matter of Sarah, his sister, who mysteriously disappeared for a whole year and just as mysteriously returned. As the story unfolds, the reasons for her disappearance seem more unbelievable than Henry ever could have imagined. Maybe rock god status isn’t too farfetched for Henry. After all, crazier things have happened.

I'm a fan of Ehrenhaft's Tell It to Naomi - but I haven't read anything by him in quite awhile. Seeing that he has a new book coming out in 2010 reminded me of my love of his books! :)



Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (Luna, 2010)
An unforgettable futuristic story about a girl whose attempts to rebel quietly puts her at the forefront of a revolution.
This little blurb is from a bookmark that I got over the weekend at Maria's signing:
"I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. One of the thousands who work in the lower levels, keeping inside clean for the Uppers. I do my job and try to avoid Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? Not like it's all that dangerous  - the only neck at risk is my own.
Until a prophet claims a Gateway to Outside exists. And guess who he wants to steal into the Upper levels to get proof?
You're right. Me. It's suicide plain and simple. But guess who can't let a challenge like that go unanswered? Right again. Me."

I'm so excited for Maria's new book - which is also her first YA! I'm curious to see if I'll love it as much as I loved her Poison Study series! It sounds really different...


6 comments:

  1. The both look pretty good, interesting plot and The first one has a very strong title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, great books! They both sound interesting, the second in particular. I was going to start reading Poison Study the other day but got sidetracked with another novel. However, since the wise one (that'd be you) seems to love that series, I better start soon LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books look great! Definitely going on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Friend is Not a Verb cover. I haven't heard of these two but they shall be added to the ever growing list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of these wonderful books before, so thank you for that!

    I love both of the covers and they do sound very nice.

    Here's mine:
    http://jadorehappyendings.blogspot.com/2009/11/wow-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks! Can't wait for Inside Out either. This is the first time I've heard of Friend is Not a Verb and I like the sound of it. Plus I love the title.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!