Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (30)

WoW is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

I have two WoW picks today, since one will be released in July and the other is a 2011 release. I'm broken hearted about having to wait for OTHER WORDS FOR LOVE, so I've consoled myself with THE GRIMM LEGACY!


Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
Delacorte/1.11.11
Description (from author website):
Ari Mitchell feels invisible at her Brooklyn high school. Her hair is too flat, her style too preppy, and her personality too quiet. And outside school, Ari feels outshined by her beautiful, confident best friend, Summer. Their friendship is as complex and confusing as Ari’s relationship with her troubled older sister, Evelyn, a former teenage mom whose handsome firefighter husband fills Ari’s head with guilty fantasies.

When an unexpected inheritance enables Ari to transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school, she makes a wealthy new friend, Leigh. Leigh introduces Ari to the glamorous side of New York—and to her gorgeous cousin, Blake. Ari doesn't think she stands a chance, but amazingly, Blake asks her out. As their romance heats up, they find themselves involved in an intense, consuming relationship. Ari’s family worries that she is losing touch with the important things in life, like family, hard work, and planning for the future. Meanwhile, Summer warns her that what she feels for Blake is just an infatuation. Not real love. But Ari’s world is awash with new colors, filled with a freshness and an excitement she hasn’t felt in years.
When misfortune befalls Blake’s family, he pulls away, and Ari's world drains of color. As she struggles to get over the breakup, Ari must finally ask herself: were their feelings true love . . . or something else?

I'm on a bit of a contemporary YA kick right now, so OTHER WORDS FOR LOVE hold definite appeal.


The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Putnam Juvenile/7.8.10
Description (from GoodReads)
Elizabeth has a new job at an unusual library— a lending library of objects, not books. In a secret room in the basement lies the Grimm Collection. That’s where the librarians lock away powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, Snow White’s stepmother’s sinister mirror that talks in riddles.
When the magical objects start to disappear, Elizabeth embarks on a dangerous quest to catch the thief before she can be accused of the crime—or captured by the thief.
Polly Shulman has created a contemporary fantasy with a fascinating setting and premise, starring an ordinary girl whose after-school job is far from ordinary— and leads to a world of excitement, romance and magical intrigue.

I'm not sure I have to explain why I'm excited about THE GRIMM LEGACY. I adored Shulman's ENTHUSIASM and I have no doubt that I'll enjoy this one!

11 comments:

  1. lovely picks, sara! other words for love sounds like a beautifully chaotic story, and the grimm legacy's cover is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both sound great!! And I love the cover Other Words for Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books are awesome! Can't wait for Other Words For Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both book sound amazing! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other Words for Love is a new title for me, but I am definitely hyped about The Grimm Legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, both of them sounds awesome!!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, I want to read Grimm Legacy now! and so wish I worked at that magic library lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely waiting for The Grimm Legacy. Both the cover and the summary sounds just great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I excited for The Grimm Legacy too! Lovely picks! btw- I have an award for you over at my blog - http://badassbookie.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-blog-award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read about the Grimm Legacy! I think it was in School Library Journal, where they have an interview with the author this month. Plus I agree, it's a really great cover.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!