Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (32)

WoW is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

I have two WoW picks today! One doesn't come out until the end of 2011, but the description sounds amazingly intense! Plus the cover is gorgeous. The other has a slightly shorter wait, as it's slated for release in March 2011, but there is only a short description. It's the cover that really draws my attention! HarperTeen outdid themselves with these two!

*EDIT: RIVAL's US release is actually Feb. 2011! Hurrah!*

Rival by Sara Bennett-Wealer
HarperTeen/2.11
Description (from GoodReads):
Meet Brooke: Popular, powerful and hating every minute of it, she’s the “It” girl at Douglas High in Lake Champion, Minnesota. Her real ambition? Using her operatic mezzo as a ticket back to NYC, where her family lived before her dad ran off with an up and coming male movie star.

Now meet Kathryn: An overachieving soprano with an underachieving savings account, she’s been a social leper ever since Brooke punched her at a party junior year. For Kath, music is the key to a much-needed college scholarship.
The stage is set for a high-stakes duet between the two seniors as they prepare for the prestigious Blackmore competition. Brooke and Kathryn work toward the Blackmore with eyes not just on first prize but on one another, each still stinging from a past that started with friendship and ended in betrayal. As competition day nears, Brooke dreams of escaping the in-crowd for life as a professional singer, but her scheming BFF Chloe has other plans. And when Kathryn gets an unlikely invitation to Homecoming, she suspects Brooke of trying to sabotage her with one last public humiliation.
As pressures mount, Brooke starts to sense that the person she hates most might just be the best friend she ever had. But Kathryn has a decision to make. Can she forgive? Or are some rivalries for life?


Steel by Carrie Vaughn
HarperTeen/3.15.11
Description (from GoodReads):
When Jill, a competitive high school fencer, goes with her family on vacation to the Bahamas, she is magically transported to an early eighteenth century pirate ship in the middle of the ocean.

18 comments:

  1. They both sound like such great reads. Rival sounds particularly interesting. I've added both to my TBR pile, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steel sounds really good. That's getting added, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sound of both these. I will be looking for them. Great variety too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Pirates!

    They both sound amazing! Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose Steel too! Sounds ssooooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, Steel looks awesome! Gorgeous cover and pirates?

    Rival looks good, too! Thanks for making my wishlist bigger.

    My WoW is here -

    http://www.mangamaniaccafe.com/?p=4066

    ReplyDelete
  7. They both sound captivating...enjoy!

    Here's mine:

    http://chezraine.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/waiting-on-wednesday-17/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of those sound great! Opera AND Pirates?! Good picks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of these books sound really good! I'll have to add them to my wishlist. My WoW is here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Followed your link over from Jills linky, love the header and blog name is so dead on. I have been hiding in books my whole life! Your WoW picks look good, have Steel already on a wish list.
    My WoW this week

    jackie b central texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice picks. Rival has a great cover. My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've added both to my TBR. I love the cover and storyline for Rival, especially. The piano keys and the placement for a "peeled" flower? Beautiful. Plus, I love stories that center around music and love. :)

    The summary for Steel is vague, but it sounds like a completely different world, and I love books that can do that successfully ('magically transport' me to a place far far away). Okay, upon looking at the cover again, it's fantastic. Reminds me slightly of that little bit in Mulan (the Disney one) where she's chopping off her hair.

    My WoW: http://wordsonpaperya.blogspot.com/2010/07/waiting-on-wednesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Thank you soooo much for WOW-ing RIVAL. I'm really excited you're excited to read it! And I have good news - RIVAL actually comes out Feb. 15, 2011, so it's not too long a wait at all. Thank you again for featuring my book! I'll head over to Goodreads and correct the release date!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of either of theses. How interesting! Might I suggest TRANCE by Linda Gerber as well?

    --Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love the sound of both of these! Can't wait for them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love the sound of both of these! Can't wait for them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rival's cover definitely pops! These both sound pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohmigosh, Steel sounds SO good and the cover looks awesome! :D (I'm all for really pretty covers <3 <3)

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!