Between September 1 and October 15 Steph Su (of Steph Su Reads) will be hosting a Banned Books Reading Challenge. The goal of the challenge is for participants to pledge to read a self-determined number of banned or challenged books for the months of September and October. If you feel like this is an issue worthy of your support, sign up for the challenge on the sign-up post and/or blog about this challenge or just generally spread the word about it.
In addition, be sure to check out Blogger Confidential over at Emily's Reading Room. Each week, a question is posed to a group of bloggers (including myself!) on a variety of topics. Last week's question was regarding "edgy fiction," which is often questioned and sometimes censored. Check out the varying opinions here! Keep in mind, the question was about "edgy" fiction, which may mean different subjects and content depending on who you ask.
My Banned Books Reading List:
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Alexie Sherman
- Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Baby Be-Bop by Francesca Lia Block
- Lessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles
- Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- Burned by Ellen Hopkins
- Shade's Children by Garth Nix
- The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud