Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ban This! and Banned Books Reading Challenge!

Donna of Bites is hosting Ban This! 2010 which extends Banned Books Week into Month and encourages readers and bloggers everywhere to read, review, and spread the word about banned and controversial books. You can read more about Ban This! here.

Between September 1 and October 15 Steph Su (of Steph Su Reads) will be hosting a Banned Books Reading Challenge. The goal of the challenge is for participants to pledge to read a self-determined number of banned or challenged books for the months of September and October. If you feel like this is an issue worthy of your support, sign up for the challenge on the sign-up post and/or blog about this challenge or just generally spread the word about it.

In addition, be sure to check out Blogger Confidential over at Emily's Reading Room. Each week, a question is posed to a group of bloggers (including myself!) on a variety of topics. Last week's question was regarding "edgy fiction," which is often questioned and sometimes censored. Check out the varying opinions here! Keep in mind, the question was about "edgy" fiction, which may mean different subjects and content depending on who you ask.

My Banned Books Reading List:
  1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Alexie Sherman
  2. Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
  3. Baby Be-Bop by Francesca Lia Block
  4. Lessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles
  5. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
  6. Looking for Alaska by John Green
  7. Burned by Ellen Hopkins
  8. Shade's Children by Garth Nix
  9. The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, I have Go Ask Alice and Looking for Alaska on my list too! And you are going to have amazing fun with The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. As you can probably tell, I loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg how can these amazing books be banned?!! great pick girl and happy reading i love that they are doing this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian as well - favorite book of all time. And I will definitely be reading Looking For Alaska during this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have very similar reading lists. :) Can't wait to read these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Ban This! love! I'm going to have to check those topics out over at Emily's Reading Room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices. I'm picking up Laurie Halse Anderson too. I've always wanted to read Go Ask Alice and Looking for Alaska. I'd love to try them if I have time.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent picks! I have Looking for Alaska on my shelf, and I am interested in many other authors on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you via Steph Su's. I like what you wrote about your plans after college: maybe you'll use your marketing skills to help promote books!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!