Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Review: Her and Me and You by Lauren Strasnick


Title: Her and Me and You
Author: Lauren Strasnick
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: 10.5.2010
Genre: Contemporary YA
Keywords: Twins, Love, Friendship, Manipulation, Lies, Eating Disorders
Pages: 224
Description (from GoodReads):
First love, broken friendships, and heartache all play a part in this evocative, voice-driven novel about Alex, a girl whose world is ripped apart when her father’s affair splits her family in two.

Alex moves with her mess of a mother to a new town, where she is befriended by hot, enigmatic Fred—and alternately flirted with and cold-shouldered by Fred’s twin sister, Adina. Others warn Alex to steer clear of the twins, whose sibling relationship is considered abnormal at best, but there’s just something about Fred—and something about Adina—that draws Alex to them and makes her want to be part of their crazy world…no matter the consequences.

An intense, fast-paced read, Lauren Strasnick pulled me into the twisted, passionate world of Alex, Fred, and Adina. I finished the novel in just over an hour, but the story continued to ricochet through my mind even after the last page was turned.

Alex is the main character, but it's Adina and Fred, and their interesting relationship, that steal the spotlight. Fred is immediately likeable and it wasn't difficult to imagine why Alex would fall him, even as she's being warned against him... and his sister.

It's Adina, however, that gave the novel an almost sinister feel. Right from the beginning, the reader can tell there's something not right with Adina. She's possessive of Fred, manipulative of everyone, and her fragility makes her easy to underestimate. As I read, I couldn't help but be a bit impressed by her deft manipulation of Alex and Fred. The lengths she was willing to go to achieve her goal was terrifying, but I found it hard to look away.

The novel is comprised of more than just Adina and her games. Alex and Fred's relationship unfolds slowly, tenderly. The two are comfortable, yet hesitant and I found myself hoping they'd break free of Adina's control, despite how interesting I found her intrusions and designs.

Strasnick has succeeded in writing a gripping novel populated with compelling characters that will leave you wondering where the last two hours have gone.

Grade: A

 Review copy provided by Good Golly Miss Holly Tours.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review! I loved Lauren's first book, so I'm eager to get my hands on this one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited about this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this one and I wish I enjoyed it as much as you. It was good, but I didn't really love it.

    Adina was definitely a little creepy and a lot of crazy. Her manipulative nature and fragile outward appearance was so well done. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good, I really want to read this one. Great Review :)

    -Mariana S
    http://smartgirls-read.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!