Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Playing Favorites with Natalie Standiford!

It has been said that playing favorites isn't nice, but sometimes it's impossible not to! Join me weekly at The Hiding Spot as I share a favorite author... and the author shares a few favorite things of their own.

 
Natalie Standiford

Genre: Contemporary YA
Books:
How to Say Goodbye in Robot (2009) Review
Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters (September 2010)
The Dating Game (Book 1-6)

Why I Love Her Writing?
Natalie Standiford writes about the misfit, broken-hearted robot that we all are. Or have been. Or will be.

 
MY FAVORITES

Novel: How to Say Goodbye in Robot
I'm ridiculously excited about Standiford's upcoming novel, Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters, but I'll always love How to Say Goodbye in Robot! Every time I see that bright pink cover I think about Jonah, Bea, and all the other unique and unforgettable characters from the novel. Robot may be the only novel that I completely adore that doesn't have a romantic plot line, which says something about Standiford's writing and her ability to form deep connections between characters. It's particularly impressive that said connection is between a girl and a boy... Often, in YA, even the most platonic relationship will veer into romance.

Character: Jonas
Jonas is one of my all-time favorite characters... so much so that, for me, he nearly stole the show from Bea. I loved Bea - she was wonderful narrator - but I found myself counting the pages until Jonas reappeared. I've always had a soft spot for characters that tug at your heartstrings, and Jonas was yanking incredibly hard.

Quote: "I felt like you could open a door in my hollow, tin chest--just flip it open, easy--and see my heart throbbing, raw and bloody and sore. You could even reach in and squish it if you wanted to. I didn't want anyone getting close enough to open that door and see that mess." - Pg 251 of How to Say Goodbye in Robot
Do you even need me to explain why this quote is amazing? Who doesn't feel this way at one time or another during their life?



THE FAVORITE FAVORS

Color: Blue
I'm the kind of person who finds it hard to choose favorites, but when it comes to color I've known for sure since babyhood and never wavered: blue. I had a blue blanket which I was very attached to, and I'm sure that had a big influence on me. Also, I have blue eyes, and blue looks good on me. My favorite element is water and I love the evening sky. So blue it is.


Food: Crabmeat.
Jumbo lump crab from Chesapeake blue crabs. (Blue again!) I know it's a cliche that Marylanders love crabmeat but what can I say? It's just so delicious. And cliches have to come from somewhere.


Candy: Chuckles.
 Most people I know think I'm crazy. They do not like Chuckles. But I find them not only delicious but soothing. To me they're like medicine. They make my stomach feel good. And the name is delightfully awful.


Movie: Annie Hall
I first saw ANNIE HALL when I was 14 and I decided then and there that I wanted to move to New York and live in Woody Allen's world of intellectual neurotics. That world was mostly gone by the time I got here but it's still a great movie. Why doesn't anyone make poignant romantic comedies anymore?


Word: This constantly changes, but for the moment, for today, my favorite word is "Superb."
I find it funny the way that b sneaks onto the end, and it's fun to say. It makes your lips feel rubbery (as does the word "rubbery"). Superb! Runner-up: Smackdown. Sounds like what it is.


For more information about Natalie and her novels
check out the links below:

Natalie's upcoming novel, Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters will be available in September 2010! I can't wait to read her next offering, which sounds intriguing and has a wonderful cover.
Description (GoodReads):
The Sullivan sisters have a big problem. On Christmas Day their rich and imperious grandmother gathers the family and announces that she will soon die . . .and has cut the entire family out of her will. Since she is the source of almost all their income, this means they will soon be penniless.

Someone in the family has offended her deeply. If that person comes forward with a confession of her (or his) crime, submitted in writing to her lawyer by New Year's Day, she will reinstate the family in her will. Or at least consider it.
And so the confessions begin....

17 comments:

  1. that quote is amazing! and confessions of the sullivan sisters sounds really good! i'm adding it to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is there a candy that I don't know of? I have NO clue what Chuckles are, haha.

    But that quote= I WANT TO READ SO BADLY. Definitely adding this to my wish-list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote!! I remember reading your review for this and I soo want to read it. I need more money and a better library!

    Seriously, I think every time I read these Playing Favourites posts, I'm going to get funny looks. Because I keep saying the authors favourite word out loud a number of times to assess its level of awesomeness. You're making me look craz...ier.

    Natalie's new book sounds just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is late, but wow, I can see why she's a favorite. Both her new book and that quote from Robot have me quite engaged. And Robot has been on my TBR for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww that quote is really nice.
    I have to go ahead and read How to Say Goodbye in Robot as it sounds good. I think I'll bump it up on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this book is going to be great, I haven't read it yet. AH! The quote is fantastic! I love the color blue too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that she choses her favourite word by the way it feels to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DEFINITELY adding this to my wish list :)

    And the Sullivan Sister's sounds awesome, also being put on my wistlist !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not read anything by her but definitely want to read them. I love Annie hall !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any book of Natalie Standiford, but at first sigh I have to say that the covers are cute and beautiful!
    You know what? I hate crabmeat! LOL but I love blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1stly,her book covers are so sweet!I so want to read her books! That quote is amazing! Blue is my favorite color too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does she mean chuckles as in like actually chuckling? If its a real candy i want to try it cause i've never heard of it haha. Thanks for the cool playing favorites interview!

    angela z

    ReplyDelete
  13. Natalie's books sound really good! The quote is amazing; it's full of wonderful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I can definitely see why that's your favorite quote from the book. It's so...raw! I gotta check that book out soon.

    And haha what are these chuckles candies she was talking about??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I love the teaser plot on 'Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters'! ^^ Looking forward to it's release in September! c:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of How to Say Goodbye in Robot, but the title itself already sounds funny :-D

    I have never eaten crabmeat though I love seafood, how is it done? I'm intrigued, will look it up after my comment ;-)
    Ooh the Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters looks great (I ahve 2 sisters so the cover kinda reminds me of us, even though only my little sis is blond :-p)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What are chuckles??? Hmmm..I'll have to look into it.

    All your books are on my TBR list...which is super long.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!