Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell


Title: The Rise of Renegade X

Author: Chelsea Campbell
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: 5/11/10
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Heroes, Villains, Family, Love, Growing Up
Pages: 288
Plot (from back of arc):
Damien Locke knows his destiny – attending the university for supervillains and becoming Golden City’s next professional evil genius. But when Damien discovers he’s the product of his supervillian mother’s one-night stand with – of all the people – a superhero, his best-laid plans are ruined as he’s forced to live with her superhero family.
Going to extreme lengths (and heights), The Rise of Renegade X chronicles one boy’s struggles with the villainous and heroic pitfalls of growing up.

I did not know what to expect when I picked up Chelsea Campbell’s debut novel. I’d heard a lot of talk about it – and the talk was good. But still, I doubted. Superheroes and villains are cool, but I asked myself, are they my kind of cool? It didn’t take me long to realize how silly that question was: THE RISE OF RENEGADE X is an amazing book, filled with sarcastic humor, youthful insecurity, and awesome costumes.

Damien was such a fun character! Half the time he’s a super sarcastic little jerk and the rest of the time he was… well he was still a sarcastic punk, but he was a loveable one. He was absolutely hilarious and had me laughing aloud more than once. To me, he was a mix of V. Mars’ Logan Echolls and the funny guys you know in school – which is a pretty amazing combination. Damien was definitely my favorite part of the book!

I loved the craziness of RENEGADE. The entire novel, plot, characters, and all, are so creative and fun. It was unlike any other novel I’ve read and it doesn’t surprise me that it is already being considered as a possible film. RENEGADE definitely has a cinematic quality.

There is also a bit of romance in RENEGADE, but it is not a main focus of the novel. Damien was such a guy about the relationship though. I’m not sure there is a better way to describe his behavior, but I found it refreshing, honest, and hilarious.

THE RISE OF RENEGADE X is a must-read debut novel! I applaud Chelsea Campbell for writing a novel that can easily appeal to both guys and girls.

Grade: A+

Cover Comments:
I love the cover of RENEGADE... There isn't much to say except that it fits the novel wonderfully.

11 comments:

  1. Ok, you won me over by comparing the main character to Logan Echolls. SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this book trailer for this book a long while back and it sounded fantasticly fun! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. It's good to hear you enjoyed it as well - you know how it is when you think something is good and then find out people aren't enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I wasn't sure about this before but now I'm definitely picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually iffy on reading your review of this book because I usually don't read those kinds of books, ever. But I'm glad I decided to! This books seems like a good one :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so fun with the heros vs villians and loved Logan so can't wait to about Damien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing great things, but I have to admit, the second I heard the premise I was sold. I mean, super villain has a one-night stand with a superhero and they have a kid? Genius. And the fact that Damien's character is spot on makes for all kinds of wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good - I'm like you I wasn't sure if this book would be for me, but after reading this review, I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm glad this is as good I hoped it'd be. Chelsea is the best, isn't she?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a comic book reader from way back, I love superhero stories. This book sounds awesome, and the fact that Damien is wise-cracking and funny gives me extra incentive to want this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving the sound of Damien! This isn't usually a book I would pick up but I've heard wonderful things about it!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!