Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review: Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue


Title: Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue
Author: Hugh Howey
Publisher: NorLights Press
Pub. Date: September 2009
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Space travel, Romance, Family, Mystery, Action, Futuristic
Plot (from back of ARC):
"When Molly gets kicked out of the Naval Academy, she loses more than just another home, she loses the two things that truly matter: flying in space and her training partner, Cole. A dull future seems to await, until a marvelous discovery changes everything.
Her father's old starship, missing for a decade, turns up halfway across the galaxy. Its retrieval launches Molly and Cole on an adventure of a lifetime, one that will have lasting consequences for themselves and billion of others.
What starts off as a simple quest to reconnect with her past, ends up forging a new future.And the forgotten family she hoped to uncover becomes one she never foresaw: a band of alien misfits and runaways - the crew of the starship Parsona."

Unfortuntately, I don't think Molly Fyde is a book that I would have picked up on my own. When I was contacted about reviewing this book, I debated whether or not to say yes. After all, I hadn't heard of the title, the author, or the publisher. In the end, I decided to accept because I love YA and science fiction and this book did have a plot that sounded interesting. I am so ridiculously glad that I did: Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue is most definitely one of the best YA science fiction novels that I've read the entire year.

I am always wary when picking up a new science fiction novel. Some scifi books focus too much on the technical (science) side of the plot, which I sometimes find boring or too complex. I read the first chapter of the novel and was starting to see these tendencies, but that really only lasted throughout the first chapter and their was a good reason for it. Once I got through that beginning chapter, I was hooked!

I was thrilled to discover that there was a love story within Molly Fyde, which will appeal to many YA readers. Cole, Molly's romantic interest, was a great match for her and I loved their dialogue. This aspect of the plot was wonderful.

This novel takes place many years in the future, when space travel is common and there are many planets with life, both alien and human. It was so interesting to read about the different planets Howey has imagined and sent Molly and Cole to. Along the way, Cole and Molly are met not only with adventure and clues to unraveling the mystery of Molly's past, but with new ideas and cultures.

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 10
Characters: 10
Writing: 10
Romance: 10
Originality: 10
Total: 50/50 (A!)

I absolutely loved this book and cannot wait until the next installment, Molly Fyde and the Land of Light, is released. The story leaves readers with a cliffhanger that left me anxious for more! Don't let this novel pass you by! Whether you are a scifi fan or simply a fan of adventure and love stories, this novel shouldn't be missed!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, it's a great book! I loved it and can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I was the same as you... I did see this a while ago but I wasn't sure whether to read it. I'm glad I read your review because it sounds great! Will have to read before the sequel comes out!

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!