Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink




Title: Prophecy of the Sisters
Author: Michelle Zink
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Pub. Date: 2009
Genre: YA
Main Themes: Supernatural, Good vs. Evil, Sisters, Love, Prophecies
Pages: 343
Plot (from book jacket):
An ancient prophecy divides two sisters -
One good...
One evil...
Who will prevail?
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' death, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.
Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.
They just know they can't trust each other.

Prophecy of the Sisters was a book that I expected to fall in love with, but only ended up in like. I really started to get into it towards the end though, so I'm really excited for the next installment, but it moved a bit slow for me throughout most of the book.

I really appreciated the plot of the novel. Pitting the twin sisters against one another, good vs. evil, a mysterious prophecy - that was all wonderful! I think I expected a bit more action though, which is why I think I'll like the next book more - the scene is already set, the reader can dive right into the action.

I was a bit confused about where Lia and Alice stood... Alice didn't seem as evil as I would have liked her to be. And the book jacket said that they couldn't trust one another, but at some points Lia still trusted Alice. I just thought that not all of Alice's actions were consistent.

I was also thought that there was going to be more romance than there actually was. When a love story or boy is mentioned  on the book jacket, I generally think that it will be a main theme. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Again, I think that will improve for the next novel as well... the note that the romantic aspect of the story was left on was promising!

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 9
Characters: 9
Writing: 10
Romance: 7
Originality: 10
Total: 45/50 (A-)

Prophecy of the Sisters wasn't my favorite book, but I still enjoyed it. I recommend checking it out from the library and reading it before deciding whether or not to buy it.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been debating whether or not to read this because I don't tend to read a lot of historical type novels. I think I'll give it a read and see how I like it, plus you mentioned it's a series which is always good. I'm greedy and always want more LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just won this book last week in a giveaway; I'm excited to check it out for myself. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!