Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Friday, April 24, 2009

Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments bk 1)


Title: The City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments bk 1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date published: 2007
Type of book: Teen fantasy/scifi (romance, vampires, Shadowhunters, demons, werewolves)
Pages: 485
I received this book from/at: Walden Books
My interest in this book is: plot

Ideas expressed/message/plot: From back cover: “THEIR HIDDEN WORLD IS ABOUT TO BE REVEALED… When fifteen-year old Clary Fray heads out to Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder – much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it’s hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.
Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary’s mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.
But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundane like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know…

Favorite characters, quotes/lines: Clary: I liked her prickliness, it seemed to draw in and instead of keep other characters out… like Jace; Simon: he was very funny and very nerdy (two of my very favorite qualities!), I was glad that he was Clary’s best friend (and no more); Jace: he is the type of guy that I always love in books… tough on the outside, but all mush on the inside… and I love that only Clary really sees this side of him. I’m totally rooting for them!

When I finished this book I felt: I finished this book in one day (in between waiting on people at Subway mostly…) then I finished it at home and read City of Ashes right away that night. That’s how good these books are. If I owned City of Glass I would have read that one directly after the first two. There are some books that draw you in and just don’t let you go until you know every twist and every character inside and out and The Mortal Instruments series are those kinds of books. They are addictive. I honestly cannot imagine what I would have done if I finished City of Bones and then had to wait for City of Ashes and Glass to come out… I probably would have gone insane…

Other books to read by this author: City of Ashes, City of Glass, The Infernal Devices (a trilogy to be published that will be a set of prequels to the Mortal Instuments trilogy)

I would recommend this book to: Fantasy/scifi lovers… girls and guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!