Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Home    Challenges    Reviews    Features    Contests    Review Policy    Contact

Monday, April 6, 2009

Review: What Would Emma Do?


Title: What Would Emma Do?
Author: Eileen Cook
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published date: 2009
Type of book: Young Adult fiction

I received this book from/at: Barnes and Noble
My interest in this book is: plot

Ideas expressed/message/plot: “Thou Shalt Not Kiss Thy Best Friend’s Boyfriend… again… There is no greater sin than kissing your best friend’s boyfriend. So when Emma breaks that golden rule, she knows she’s messed up big-time. Especially since she lives in the smallest town ever, where everyone knows everything about everybody else… and especially since she maybe kinda wants to do it again. Now her best friend isn’t speaking to her, her best guy friend is making things totally weird, and Emma is running full speed toward certain social disaster. This is not the way senior year was supposed to go.
Time to pray for a minor miracle. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s time for Emma to stop trying to please everyone around her, and figure out what she wants for herself.

Favorite character, quotes/lines: Emma: I thought she was good protagonist, and her choices wouldn’t have been easy for me to make either, I definitely identified with her/ Todd: I wished he was in the book more… he seemed like he would have been an interesting character to explore

When I finished this book I felt: I definitely liked it, but I wasn’t really impressed with the ending. I really enjoyed the book: it was funny and relatable. However, I thought the ending was really sudden and left me wanting more of a wrap up of the story. I thought that the religion aspects of the novel were well incorporated and I identified with Emma’s doubts and thoughts on faith, church, and church-goers (in particular).

I would recommend this book to: teen girls… and their mothers. I think it sends some thought provoking messages.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure you whisper, I'm hiding!